Plaque prevention is key if you want a strong and healthy smile. Plaque is a harmful substance that constantly threatens to destroy your oral health with tooth decay and gum disease, which is why it is best to prevent plaque growth as much as possible. But how can plaque prevention be accomplished? Well, our Smiley Dental Mesquite team has some tips for you! To prevent plaque growth, we recommend doing the following things:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste and brush your smile twice a day—every morning and every night. Do your best to brush for two minutes each time and thoroughly scrub each tooth.
- Use a flossing product of your choice and floss at least once a day. This is helpful because it removes the plaque that grows in the crevices of your smile.
- Rinse your mouth daily with antibacterial or fluoride mouthwash. Doing so will complete the cleaning job and will freshen your breath.
- Have a balanced and healthy diet and try to avoid eating the sugary sweets and starchy foods.
- If you have used your toothbrush for 3-4 months or if it’s worn out, it’s time to replace it with a new one. Brushing with an old toothbrush is not helpful.
- Visit your dentist every six months for a routine cleaning and exam. The treatments provided at the appointment are the only treatments that can completely remove the plaque from your pearly whites.
If you use these tips, you will be on the right track toward a strong and successful oral health. For more information and details on plaque prevention in Mesquite, Texas, please remember that you can always call 972.755.1972 and talk to your dentist, Dr. Lynh Pham, or a member of our caring dental team. We are thrilled to help you in any way we can—all you need to do is call our office at your earliest convenience!